Birch bark as a valuable renewable raw material for producing formaldehyde-free particle boards and suberinic acids polyols for the development of polyurethanes
Leading partner - Latvian State Institute of Wood Chemistry ,
Cooperation partner – Joint Stock Company "PolyLabs".
to conduct non-economic industrial research, combining the chemical engineering and material science sectors, and to promote the spread of knowledge by developing new, eco-innovative, waste-free technologies so that to produce suberinic acids polyols for the development of polyurethanes and binder formaldehyde-free particle boards from the renewable raw material – birch outer bark.
Main activities of the project:
- development of particle boards from the lignocellulose fraction;
- depolymerization and extraction of suberic acids from birch outer bark;
- development of polyol from suberinic acids;
- polyol synthesis at a pilot level;
- development of rigid polyurethane (PU) foams based on suberinic acids polyols;
- LCA analysis (life cycle) for the developed products and processes;
- publication of results and technology transfer.
Main results of the project:
- 5 eco-innovative technology prototypes;
- 10 new product prototypes;
- 6 scientific publications.
Project implementation period: 36 months – from 01.12.2020 to 30.11.2023.
Total financing of the project: total project costs: 645 545.06 EUR (ERAF co-financing – 57.80% or 373 125.04 EUR, state budget co-financing – 34.70% or 224 004.12 EUR).